My first time... Part 2 (First days in Brazil)


This is the 2nd part of a 2 part post, if you want to read from the beginning click here!
Esta é a parte 2/2 de um texto com duas partes. Se quiser ler do começo, clique aqui!

Confira a versão em português no fim do text.

In this post I have included links, so you can see the places and things im talking about.

Gabriela lived in Pituba, just the drive from the airport to Gabriela's house in Pituba was a lot for me to take in. The buildings were different, the Favelas, the houses, the very crazy and dangerous driving, the smell... I was taking this all in while Gabriela's best friend was taking the mick out of me for how I was pronouncing her name! At least the people had a good sense of humour, something us Brits are well known for :p

My first time in Brazil went by in a flash but one thing that is unavoidable for me to forget, is palm oil and the way it reacted with me.. Palm oil is in a lot of things in Brazil and in Bahia its in everything.. It doesn't particularly have a really strong flavour in my opinion but it does have a strong toll on stomachs that aren't used to it. I don't know really what it is about palm oil thats the problem, its just quite heavy and on my first day I was introduced to Acarajè! 

Acarajè is a kind of bread roll that is made from fried (in palm oil) beans. It comes with some specific things, for example, Vatapá, that is shrimp in a kinda pureèd sauce that is made with palm oil, nuts and a lot of other things. The result is something visually very off-putting and the whole thing is presented together. My first time in Brazil I spent much of it sitting on the toilet due to the effect of Palm oil in the Acarajè and all the other things that contain palm oil.

 Acaraje with Vatapa in the middle


Gabriela, my new friends and I spent a lot of time eating new things and fruits that I had never had before. We spent a lot of the time at the beach and doing many of the touristic things in Salvador a person that has never visited Salvador before should do, such as the Elevator, Mercado Modelo, Pelourinho and watching the sunset at Barra lighthouse.

One thing I have noticed from the times I have visited Brazil and more particularly Salvador, is that although I will always stick out as a gringo, the Baianos (people from Bahia the state in which Salvador resides) and Brazilians in general, have got more used to foreigners. When I first came to Salvador some of the looks and stares I got from people were really like I was from another planet but now in 2016 I can get on a bus and people not even take a second look or even a first look for that matter! 

I don't really like going to the old centre of Salvador, its not that I don't like it there, I like the Mercado Modelo and the Elevator and Pelourinho is very pretty but Its very far from anything and its very dangerous there. If you have seen the touristic things there before and don't really have any real reason to go there, for me.. I wouldn't really go there unnecessarily, but it is the cultural centre of Salvador and often there are concerts etc there. Having said that, I would like to go to the Mercado Modelo again.

Me, 19 years old, being forced to look like even more of a gringo by my friends at Mercado Modelo (2002)
Eu, com 19 anos, sendo obrigado por meus amigos a ficar ainda mais parecido com um gringo no Mercado Modelo (2002)


The Mercado Modelo is a craft Market, you can find a lot of art typical from Bahia, a lot of craft things, things made from wood, and a lot of food and drink amongst other things. Being quite a touristic area a lot of people are there trying to sell things outside, including women trying to read your palm. These women are Mãe de santo, (Mother of saints) they are kinda priests from a religion here in Brasil called Candomblé. Candomblé is a religion that got brought over by the African slaves, they weren't allowed to worship there own gods so to get around this it got mixed with Catholicism.

The first time I went to the Mercado Modelo, one of these ladies asked me if I wanted to have my palm read, of course at a cost. I said "No thank you". She was very generous though as she proceeded to put a curse on me for free! Gabriela who was with me, said "god bless you" and we walked off! 

Salvador, I think, is one of the most important, if not the most important cultural centre of Brazil. Of course there are a lot of other very important places to see in Brazil, but if you can only visit Brazil for a short time, then in my opinion Salvador is the city you should visit to get a snapshot of the culture of Brazil. I had only been in Brazil for just over 2 weeks and I had experienced a completely different side of life, different food, different music, different weather and different outlook on life.

From this point, I had already decided that at some point before too late, I wanted to at least try and live in Brazil for a year and maybe try and make a life!

Click here to like my Facebook page and get updated on new posts!

Leia também em português:

Gabriela morava na Pituba e, só o caminho do aeroporto pra casa de Gabi na Pituba, já foi muita coisa preu digerir. Os prédios eram diferentes, as favelas, as casas, a galera dirigindo feito doida, o cheiro... Eu estava digerindo isso tudo enquanto a melhor amiga de Gabriela ficava tirando onda com a minha cara por causa do jeito que eu pronunciava o nome dela! Pelo menos a galera tinha um bom senso de humor, algo pelo qual nós, britânicos, somos conhecidos.

Minha primeira vez no Brasil passou bem rápido, mas uma coisa que eu nunca vou conseguir esquecer é do azeite de dendê e do efeito que ele teve em mim... Azeite de dendê é um troço que tá em um monte de comidas brasileiras e, na Bahia, está em todas... Na minha opinião, ele nem tem um gosto muito forte, mas tem um efeito bem fortinho no estômago da galera que ainda não está acostumada. Sei lá qual o problema do azeite de dendê, mas é um negócio bem pesado e eu acabei sendo apresentado ao acarajé no meu primeiro dia!

Acarajé é um tipo de pão redondo feito com uma massa de feijão que é frita no azeite. Ele vem com uns acompanhamentos específicos, por exemplo Vatapá, que é camarão misturado com azeite de dendê, amendoim, castanha de caju e um monte de outras coisas, resultando numa espécie de purê. O resultado é uma negócio bem nojento de olhar e a coisa toda se apresenta junta. Na minha primeira vez no Brasil, eu passei um tempão no trono graças ao efeito do azeite de dendê no acarajé e em todas as outras coisas que ele acompanha.

Gabriela, minha nova amiga, e eu passamos muito tempo comendo coisas novas e frutas que eu nunca tinha visto antes. Também passamos um tempão na praia e fazendo outras coisas turísticas que alguém que nunca foi a Salvador tem que fazer, tipo ir no Elevador Lacerda, Mercado Modelo, Pelourinho e vendo o pôr-do-sol no Farol da Barra.

Uma coisa que eu percebi das vezes que visitei o Brasil e, em particular, Salvador, é que, mesmo que eu sempre vá me destacar como um gringo, os baianos e brasileiros em geral já estão se acostumando com estrangeiros. Quando eu vim a Salvador pela primeira vez, tinha uma galera que ficava me encarando como se eu fosse de outro planeta, mas agora em 2016 eu posso andar por aí de ônibus e o pessoal nem me dá uma segunda olhada. Às vezes, nem a primeira olhada me dão!

Eu não gosto muito de ir pro centro de Salvador. Não que eu não goste de lá, eu até gosto do Mercado Modelo, do Elevador Lacerda e o Pelourinho é bem bonito, mas é muito longe de tudo e meio perigoso por lá. Se você já foi nos pontos turísticos, então não tem nenhum motivo especial pra ir  lá de novo, na minha opinião... Eu não iria lá do nada, mas o lugar é tipo o centro cultural de Salvador e de vez em sempre tem show, etc, por lá. Pensando bem, eu quero até ir no Mercado Modelo de novo.

O Mercado Modelo é um mercado de coisas artesanais, onde você encontra um monte de coisa típica da Bahia, um monte de coisas artesanais, coisa de madeira, uma pá de comida e bebida, além de outrras coisas. Como é uma atração turística, tem gente que também fica do lado de fora do mercado tentando vender os bagulhos, incluindo umas mulheres que tentam ler a palma da sua mão. Essas mulheres são Mães de Santo, um tipo de sacerdotisa do Candomblé. Candomblé é uma religião que foi trazida pelos escravos africanos. Como eles não podiam adorar seus proprios deuses, acabaram dando seu zig e misturaram sua religião com o catolicismo.

Da primeira vez que eu fui no Mercado Modelo, uma dessas mulheres veio me perguntar se eu queria que ela lesse minha mão. Em troca de dinheiro, claro. Eu disse "não, obrigado". Daí do nada ela ficou super generosa e começou a jogar uma macumba em mim de graça! Gabriela, que tava comigo na hora, gritou de volta "Deus te abençõe" e a gente saiu correndo!

Salvador, eu acho, é um dos maiores centros culturais do Brasil, se não for o maior. É claro que tem outros lugares muito importantes pra visitar no Brasil, mas se você só pode ir no Brasil rapidinho, minha opinião é que Salvador é a cidade onde você devia passar pra pegar o ritmo da cultura do Brasil.

Eu tinha ficado no Brasil por pouco mais de duas semanas e pude experimentar um lado completamente diferente da vida. Comida diferente, música diferente, clima diferente, um jeito diferente de olhar a vida.

A partir desse momento, eu já tinha decidido que em algum ponto da minha vida, antes que fosse tarde demais, eu queria pelo menos tentar morar no Brasil por um ano e talvez tentar a vida por aqui!

Clique aqui pra curtir minha pagina no facebook e ver as atualizações no facebook e meus novos posts!

Unknown

2 comments:

  1. The Pelourinho is too far away? I would say Pituba is too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends where in Salvador that your coming from haha! At the time of these posts I was in Pituba..

      Delete

Instagram